Sunday 22 September 2013

Oiseaux Tristes by Ravel- In-Depth Study

Background
Ravel was standing by a dark forest and heard a bird calling out. He transcribed exactly the repeated call that he heard and used it as the basis for this piece, which is about a "Sad Bird" in a hot, damp forest. It is thought that the bird goes into a frenzy during the 'D' section of the piece.

Structure
An AABCADEA sort of structure, but the only thing that hints at any sort of structure is the "bird call" rhythm that keeps returning. Otherwise there are just many different musical ideas, depicting the various adventures of the bird.

Interpretation
As any piece of classical music, this piece can be interpreted in a million different ways. Throughout my time studying it (the past year and a half or so), I have constantly been finding new ways to play different parts. Here are some main aspects of that interpretation journey:
This is part of my score, I like to annotate my scores so that I remember just how I want to play things.
  • I have tried out many different ways of playing the first notes- the "bird call", varying the dynamics, tone quality and articulation. In particular, I have experimented with mood, deciding whether I want it to be optimistic to begin the piece with, or desperately sad. I have now settled on a slightly sad, but mostly thoughtful mood for the bird here.
  • In general in this piece, I have experimented a lot with dynamics, especially in places where none are marked. When dynamics are marked however, I often find that I stray somewhat from what is written (I know this is bad) especially when I'm playing through the piece on my own. This happens when I get so caught up in the music that I stop thinking enough for what is required.
  • I started out playing the piece with a lot of rubato, as it is "impressionistic" and of the 20th centruy. However, after two masterclasses on it, one with Katherine Stott and the other with Charles Owen, I found out that actually, Ravel wanted the piece to be as simple as possible and completely in time. 
  • I have tried out playing parts of the piece slow, like melody line, and fast, like flurries.
  • The last line is my favourite section of the whole piece. It begins with the lowest Eb on the piano. I play this as darkly as I possibly can. The following melody is a dark, almost sadistic shadow of the beginning. The piece then ends just the same way as it began, with the same rhythm and notes as the second time that the idea was heard, but this time it is different. After the bird (and the audience) has been through a dynamic roller coaster of a journey, we hear this sad thought for the last time. It is as though the bird has it's last words and is asking us "Do you remember my life? What was it all for?"

No comments:

Post a Comment